Friday, April 20, 2007

Update -- Friday night

Thank you to everyone for your posted comments and emails. We’re reading each one--and, even though we haven’t been able to reply, please know that we’re comforted knowing that so many people are surrounding us. We are truly truly blessed.

And thank you for all of the gifts, flowers, food, and helping hands, and everyone who has offered to help. Everyone has been so generous. We cannot express how grateful we are. We pray that the Lord will multiply the blessings back to you.

We still have our phones turned off, forwarding directly to voicemail. The press has been relentless this week, and pretty much rendered our phones useless for incoming calls. It’s starting to slow down, though, thankfully. They’ve also been coming out to the house, so we’ve been cautious about answering the door.

Gil is recovering well, physically. He has hardly any discomfort (praise God!), and should get his stitches removed soon.

Emotionally, it is hard to reconcile all of the different aspects of this tragedy. We’re so thankful that Gil’s life--and the lives of several of his friends--were spared, but we’re also deeply mournful about the friends that he has lost.

Please know how much you all mean to us--even those of you who we don’t know, who have kindly posted messages. May God bless each one of you.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary and I (Nell-Marie's parents) returned home late yesterday afternoon after spending the week with Gil, Nell-Marie, and Daniel. Nell-Marie and Gil are getting a handle on things. They are receiving a lot of support from friends and church.

I believe that Gil and Nell-Marie realize the emotional roller coaster ride they are about to take. Fortunately, they have a strong Christian faith. I see this faith in action as they face the challenges thrown at them.

Though we're so blessed that Gil survived, it is tempered by the fact that we came so close to losing him. We were so happy when Gil married Nell-Marie, he is such a great guy. I could not have asked for a better man to be in my little girls life.

The emotion of almost losing him is almost unbearable. Compound that with our sorrow for the loss of Gil's friends and professors and the pain experienced by the parents and friends of those not coming home. All of this emotions at one time are difficult to manage.

In time, like all personal tragedies, such as my brother John's passing 3 years ago, we move on, but we won't forget.

Thank you for your prayers and support for Gil, Nell-Marie, and Daniel. Your kind words and actions have been wonderful for and greatly appreciated by them.
Milt and Mary

elena maria vidal said...

I am just so glad that Gil and Nell-Marie have such a loving faith community to support them, like a second family. Yes, faith makes all the difference.

Davene said...

Thanks so much for the update! You are in our thoughts and prayers daily. When things settle down and the attention/scrutiny/busy-ness/emotions diminish, keep us in mind if you need something. Since we live here in the area now, we can be a helping hand weeks or months down the road.

I've been thinking this week about the memories I have from when Gil lived with us. Several of them revolve around linguistic difficulties--something I understand so much better now after having lived in Israel! I remember right after Gil had moved here, he pointed excitedly to a bird flying in the sky and said, "Look, a deer!" He was a little bummed when we told him he had used the wrong word and it was actually a bird. :) I also remember one time when he was trying to tell me something about an onion...and though he tried and tried to pronounce it correctly and I tried and tried to imagine what he could possibly be saying, I didn't understand what he meant until he literally showed me an onion. I also remember that he didn't like celery...and no matter how my mom camouflaged it in food, he could always tell if it was in there.

Ah, Gil, we were blessed to have you as part of our family for that time!

With fond memories,
Davene

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful to hear that your recovering well. My prayers continue to be with all affected by this event. Seeing this happen at a place I called home for 4 years really affected me; but I know God will and has used many people to bring people into His kingdom.

Andrew Zapanta - VT class of 97

Anonymous said...

My family and I have been holding you and yours in our prayers, and will continue to do so.
And we are also holding all those affected by this in our daily prayers,and the families and friends of all those lost.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear your Son is getting better.It was a shock that encompassed the world.May Your Son always have a Rainbow on his shoulder, and his friends that lost their lives.May they be safe in the arms of an Angel.Never to be forgotten.Stay safe, Take care,
Soldiers Angel Cyndy Reed Australia

Anonymous said...

Gil and Nell-Marie,

Matt and I have been in continued prayer for you during this past week. Many of our friends and family are praying for you as well. We are encouraged that Gil is physically recovering well. Thank you for the updates as we haven't wanted to pester you for them. Let God be your peace and your rock.

"I remember my affliction...the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:19-23

-Alison Jacobs

Anonymous said...

Hola soy uruguayo y me puse muy contento al saber que no le avia pasado nada a un compatriota de los mios.
sinceramente disculpa por no haberte escrito en ingles solo que estoy recien comenmzando con los estudios bilingues.
me llamo gonzalo, soy de punta del este y tengo 17 años. me gustaria que nos pudieramos contactar medinte e mails, ya que estaria bueno tratar de conocer a esos pequeños seres que hoy orgullecen a nuestro pais en las distintas ciudades que alberga nuestro pequeño planeta tierra. me gustaria mucho ue pudierqamos chatear o simplemente intercambiar fotos e e-mails.

atte. Gonzalo Soria.

mi e- mail es elgonza_123@hotmail.com

un abrazo grande a vos y a los tuyos.

Anonymous said...

Gil & Family:

May God's loving and gracious Will continue to provide for your needs in the coming days. Find comfort in knowing that an entire community of strangers are praying for your healing, as well as, all who suffer and grieve as a result of this tragedy.

-Peace Always and Forever my Friend.

Anonymous said...

Hola,
Necesito contactarme con Guillermo Colman,para una entrevista.
Saludos desde Chile.
bzuniga@tvn.cl

Anonymous said...

Dear Gil & Nell-Marie,
I wanted to let you know I have been thinking about your family during this awful time. David Lee is my boyfriend and though I've only met you & NM once(to steal NMs ID for a b-ball game) I have heard about David's funny friend from Uruguay for a long time! I used to joke with David that you two were more like a couple than we were because you spent so much time together! I was devastated to hear the news last week and even more so when I knew you were involved. I am so glad you are recovering physically and I know your faith will aid your emotional recovery. Good luck back in Harrisonburg, I know David will miss you terribly!! I hope to meet little Daniel one day!

Best wishes,
Kristi